Being hit by a car as a pedestrian is a scary and unsettling experience. It can take a physical, mental, and emotional toll on the victim. But will car insurance cover the accident insurance settlement you deserve to cover your potential damages and emotional distress?
Contact one of our pedestrian accident lawyers here at GSAS so we can work with the driver’s insurance company and fight to get you the accident insurance settlement you deserve. We focus exclusively on working with the injured to get what they deserve.
What Are My Rights and the Rules of Being a Pedestrian?
As a pedestrian you have rights, and responsibilities when it comes to safely crossing the street and interacting with drivers. But what are those rights and responsibilities?
- When traffic signs are not in place to indicate right of way the driver of a car must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- If a pedestrian is crossing at any point other than a marked crosswalk they must yield to vehicles.
- Between adjacent intersections where traffic lights are in operation a pedestrian must only cross in crosswalks.
- A pedestrian must not cross a sidewalk diagonally unless advised to do so by official traffic control lights.
- None of these above rights and responsibilities absolve a driver of taking extreme care and responsibility while operating a motor vehicle.
What if I Share Fault in the Accident?
Ohio operates under a “shared fault” system. This means you can pursue damages if you are injured, however the amount you are awarded may be dependent upon whether or not you hold fault in the accident. Your settlement for your pedestrian accident injury may be decreased by whatever percentage you are found to be responsible for the accident. If you are told you were more than 50% responsible, contact an attorney to review the facts of your case.
Let us work for you so we can work together to get you what you are owed and deserve.
If I’m Not at Fault, How Can I Be Compensated?
So, how would you be compensated for your injuries if you are found not to be at fault? The at-fault driver’s car insurance could be used to compensate you for what you are owed.
We can help you file a pedestrian accident insurance claim and we can work with the at-fault driver’s insurance company so that you can just focus on taking care of you.
Let Us Handle the Stressful Stuff.
Accidents are scary. They uproot your sense of safety and security in spaces you may occupy every day. You deserve to feel safe and sane in the spaces you occupy. And you don’t need to take on the stress of navigating the legal world alone, especially when tending to the emotional fallout from an accident. As a pedestrian you have rights and anyone who violates those rights should be held accountable.
We are here to fight for what you deserve for your physical and mental duress. Contact one of our Ohio personal injury lawyers to start fighting for what you deserve.