It’s the one thing every cyclist fears, a collision with a car. If you, or a loved one, are in a bicycle accident with a car please contact one of our bicycle accident lawyers and we can fight for the settlement you deserve. The at-fault driver’s car insurance may be able to cover any financial loss you suffer. Here at GSAS we are committed to making sure you get the justice you deserve for your accident.
I’ve Been Hit By a Car on My Bike! What Next?
If you are in a bicycle accident with a car follow these steps:
- First, call 911, especially if you believe you have sustained a bicycle accident injury. Even if the injury seems minor.
- Be sure to get the name, address, and contact info from the driver.
- Get the name, address, and contact info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Get the officer’s name, badge number, and police report number.
- Write down what you can remember and take photos of any damages and injuries.
- Contact one of our personal injury attorneys, before you speak to any insurance companies, to protect your rights.
Following these steps will ensure you have all the evidence you need to file your bicycle accident insurance claim.
What are My Rights as a Cyclist?
As a cyclist in Ohio you have the rights, and responsibilities, of any other vehicle on the road and many of the same rules apply to you. But what are the specific cycling laws you need to obey?
- You must obey all regular traffic laws.
- You must ride as close to the right sides of the street as possible, unless it is unsafe to do so.
- You must not ride your bicycle while disoriented or distracted.
If you violate any of these Ohio laws you may share fault in the accident.
What if I Share Fault in the Accident?
Ohio has a “shared fault” system, meaning you can pursue damages if you are injured but the amount you are compensated may be adjusted depending upon your level of fault. Even if you were told you were at fault for your accident, call us. We can help investigate the incident and ensure your rights are protected.
We’ve seen too many victims blames for something that turned out not to be their fault at all. Let us handle your case so we can fight for you to receive what is owed to you.
Can I File a Bicycle Accident Insurance Claim?
If the driver of the car you were in an accident with is found to be at fault then the driver’s auto liability insurance can be used for the accident insurance settlement.
If you are at fault in your accident then personal liability insurance on your renter’s or homeowner’s insurance may cover the settlement.
Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers are Here to Help You.
Being in an accident is scary and unsettling. It can lead to intense emotional, physical, and psychological pain. Let our personal injury lawyers take away some of your worry and fight for the justice you deserve.