If you or a loved one has suffered a bicycle accident injury, seeking medical treatment should be your immediate concern. Bicycle accident injuries can be severe. They often have lasting physical, emotional, and financial consequences.
Once you’ve received the necessary medical attention, the next step is to reach out to an attorney who can help you in addressing the legal aspects of your situation. At GSAS, you’ll have personal injury attorneys who can help you with bicycle accidents in Pennsylvania. We can help make sure you take the right steps following your accident to avoid being taken advantage of.
Bicycle accidents are unfortunately common in Pennsylvania. This is why it’s important to know the potential risks and consequences.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accident injuries can vary in severity. However, some injuries are more commonly seen in these unfortunate events. Remember that no two accidents are the same. The extent of injuries depends on various factors. These factors may include the speed of the collision and the use of safety gear. Common accident injuries in bicycle accidents include:
1. Head Injuries. Head injuries resulting from bicycle accidents often prompt legal questions related to liability and compensation. When a cyclist sustains a head injury due to another party’s negligence, they may seek compensation. These compensations may include medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Pennsylvania law requires proving negligence of the at-fault party. The fact that the cyclist was wearing a helmet can impact the outcome of a legal case. It may be considered a mitigating factor in determining damages.
2. Orthopedic Injuries. Orthopedic injuries are common in bicycle accidents. These can lead to substantial medical expenses and rehabilitation costs. Legal considerations often revolve around establishing liability and the extent of damages. When a motorist is at fault for the accident, they may be held responsible for compensating the injured cyclist.
3. Road Rash. Road rash injuries may appear less severe than other bicycle accident injuries, but they do warrant both legal and medical attention. If the accident occurred due to another party’s negligence, the injured cyclist may have a legal basis for pursuing a personal injury claim. Road rash cases often require a thorough evaluation. The circumstances and evidence will help determine liability and assess potential compensation.
4. Spinal Cord Injuries. Spinal cord injuries due to bicycle accidents are particularly complex from a legal standpoint. These injuries can lead to extensive medical expenses and a lifelong need for care and support. Proving liability and calculating damages in such cases requires the expertise of an experienced Pennsylvania Bicycle Accident Attorney. They can navigate the intricacies of personal injury law. This will help the injured party seek fair compensation.
5. Internal Injuries. Internal injuries, while not always immediately apparent, can have severe legal implications. Proving the existence of these injuries and linking them to the bicycle accident can be challenging. However, it’s important to secure compensation for these related medical expenses. Legal counsel can help gather evidence and expert medical opinions to establish a strong case.
Preventing bicycle accidents is a shared responsibility that involves both cyclists and motorists. Cyclists should know and follow traffic laws including where they ride on roadways, where and how they ride on pedestrian walkways, and how to handle intersections properly. It is also important for cyclists to wear safety gear, and to ensure that they wear reflective clothing and affix reflectors to their bicycles if riding in low light situations.
Motorists must be attentive to avoid “dooring” accidents involving bicycles. It is also critical for drivers to maintain a safe distance from bicycles – especially when choosing to overtake a cyclist from behind. And yet, in spite of everyone’s best efforts, accidents will still happen.
Pennsylvania Bicycle Accident Attorney
In the event of a bicycle accident, it’s best to consult an attorney who has experience with Pennsylvania bicycle accidents. At GSAS, we understand the complexities of these cases. We are committed to ensuring that accident victims receive the assistance they deserve. Our track record with bicycle accident cases in Pennsylvania enables us to provide the guidance you need for these legal matters. We are here to protect your rights and help you navigate the legal process for the best chance of securing fair compensation.
Bicycle accident injuries are a serious concern in Pennsylvania. Understanding the common injuries associated with these accidents is vital. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, please seek the assistance of a qualified attorney. At GSAS, we are dedicated to helping you through this challenging time. We want to help you move forward with your life in the best way possible.