Kentucky Accident Reporting: Who, How, and When?

If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident contact an attorney before doing anything else to protect your rights. An attorney can effectively walk you through the filing process for an accident report to ensure that you are able to make an insurance claim if needed. At GSAS we are dedicated personal injury attorneys that focus on car  accidents. We can help make sure you take the right steps following your accident to avoid being taken advantage of

What is a Kentucky Accident Report? 

If you were in a car accident with property damages over $500 or caused an injury, and police have not investigated and filed a report regarding the accident, you must submit the report yourself. This report is called a Civilian Traffic Collision Report and details the circumstances surrounding your car accident. After filling out the report, you will then need to report it to Kentucky State Police to comply with state law and ensure that you are able to obtain possible compensation for your damages. 

Why Should I File a Kentucky Accident Report? 

If your car accident resulted in an injury or $500 or more in property damages, and the police officer that responds to your accident does not investigate and file a car accident report,you are required by law to submit one yourself.  

Filing an accident report is incredibly important, not just because you are required to do so by the law, but also because it allows you to obtain compensation from insurance companies. Kentucky operates as a no-fault state. This means that you can file a claim with your insurance company of up to $10,000 under your Personal Injury Protection coverage. If your accident has resulted in either : 

  • $1,000 or over in medical expenses 
  • A broken bone
  • Permanent disfigurement 
  • Permanent injury 
  • Death 

You are able to pursue a claim to seek compensation via the at-fault driver. The investigation into fault begins and hinges with the accident report. Because of this, it is vitally important to file a report if you are required to do so. 

Who Should File a Kentucky Accident Report? 

Motorists who were in a car accident in the state of Kentucky should file an accident report claim if the following conditions are met: 

  • The accident caused an injury to occur (either to yourself or a passenger) 
  • There was $500 or more in property damages as a result of the accident 
  • Police did not investigate the accident or file a report 
  • You are handed a physical copy of a Civilian Traffic Collision Report by an officer, or, directed to fill the form out on the website

How to File a Car Accident Report

Filing an accident report is a simple process. Complete the form either in hard copy or on the Kentucky State Police Website. Be sure to create two copies of the form: one for yourself and one for your insurance company. This is important to have as evidence should you need it later. 

If you have completed the form in-person, be sure to mail it within 10 days to the following address with your return address in the corner. 

Kentucky State Police Records

Attn: Crash 

1266 Louisville Road

Frankfort, KY 40601

You do not need to send anything in addition to the form as they will be shredded. Keep photos and notes to yourself or attach them to your copy of the form instead. While you are required to submit the report, you will not hear back from the police as they are not required to confirm filing. 

How Long Do I Have to File a Kentucky Accident Report? 

You are legally required to file a car accident report within 10 days of the accident. Filing the report in a timely manner is of utmost importance as if you need to file a claim against the negligent driver the earlier you have a paper trail of the accident the better. If you fail to file an accident report, you can be fined between $20 to $100. 

Can I Receive a Copy of the Accident Report? 

If you forgot to make copies of the accident report you are able to request a copy from the state. Each copy will cost $10 and you will need to verify authenticity by providing the report number, report date, and last name of the driver of the involved vehicles. To order a copy of the report you must go to a private vendor that the state has hired. Access it here. 

The Lawyers at Spivak & Sakellariou Can Help You

Recovering from a car accident can be a difficult and long process. You shouldn’t have to add fear about receiving rightful compensation for your pain and suffering to your recovery. In insuring that your accident report is successfully filed, you create the possibility of receiving the settlement you rightly deserve. 

Insurance companies are master manipulators and are able to drag out your claim until the statute of limitations has long since passed. Don’t let this happen to you. When you call our office you’ll get a free consultation with a personal injury attorney. During that conversation, we’ll review the facts of your case, get to know you and your family, and determine how we can best help you get what you deserve. Every case is different, just as every family is different. We will tailor a service that best matches your needs, your goals, and your unique circumstances.

We understand that nobody wants to be in your position. It can be a very difficult time. Our goal is to pair you with a Kentucky accident lawyer to help you navigate this difficult time to help you get what you deserve and move on with your life. You shouldn’t suffer unfair financial burdens that make it difficult to move on.

Posted in